Question: Stan, what are the best ways to get a lifetime income stream from an annuity? Larry from Maryland
Answer: Good question Larry. Annuities are pure transfer of risk strategies, and the only product that guarantees income for life regardless of how long you live.
There are really 2 ways to solve for lifetime income using annuities, Income Now or Income Later. You either need income to start immediately or sometime down the road. Let’s look at the best ways to achieve both.
The only product that you should consider is a Single Premium Immediate Annuity. This is a pure transfer of risk pension product, and the lifetime income stream starts 30 days after the contract is issued and continues for the rest of your life. Below are a few key points to know about Single Premium Immediate Annuities.
• Lifetime income stream can be set up single life or joint life
• Annual cost of living increases can be contractually added to the policy
• No Annual Fees
• No liquidity (you can only get to your money in payment form)
• You can set up the contract so that 100% of the money goes to you or your listed beneficiaries, and the insurance company will not keep a dime.
Income that starts in the future can be achieved with 2 different annuity strategies:
1) Income Riders attached to a deferred annuity
*Income Riders are attached benefits to a policy that have guaranteed growth rates during the deferral years, and you can use that dollar amount to calculate your lifetime income stream.
Key points to know:
• Income Rider totals cannot be accessed lump sum and can only be used for lifetime income.
• Lifetime income is taxed at ordinary income tax levels.
• Income Rider guaranteed % is guaranteed during the deferral years, and stops when lifetime income starts.
2) Longevity Annuity
*Longevity Annuities are deferred immediate annuities with enhanced payouts when you turn on the lifetime income stream.
Key points to know:
• No Annual Fees
• Part of lifetime income stream is not taxable when used in a non-IRA account.
• Cost of living annual increases can be contractually added to the policy.
Income Now and Income Later strategies allow you to know exactly (to the penny) what your lifetime income stream will be. Because they are contractual guarantees, you can solve for a specific monthly or annual income need.
I encourage you to go to my website at www.stantheannuityman.com and find out your best national contractual guarantees for Income Now and Income Later. We have a free no obligation, no hassle, no phone call quotation system that lists the top payouts in the country based on your specific situation. It’s worth a look.
*If you have a question for Stan The Annuity Man, please send your question to email@example.com. He will answer all questions directly, and might include yours in his next Annuity123 “Ask Stan The Annuity Man” blog.
P.S. – Please share this article with others by simply clicking on the blue social media icons at the top of your screen!
Annuity123 does not offer insurance, investment, or tax advice. You should always seek the guidance of qualified and licensed professionals concerning your personal insurance, investment, or tax matters. Annuity123 is simply a platform allowing retirement planning professionals to help educate the community on various retirement planning topics. Annuity123 does not directly support or take responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of the content displayed in the articles themselves or any feedback that may get added in the Comments section from the community.